Several years ago while working as a camp director I took some time to teach my summer staff how to bake a cake in an orange. Most of them never even heard of it let alone tried it.
If you’re looking for a fun treat on the trail around the campfire or your next family camping trip here is the recipe for baking a cake IN an orange.
- Navel oranges are the best to use due to their thick skin and the guts remove easily.
- Cut the top off of the orange and then gut the inside leaving a baking shell.
- Scrape the remaining guts from the inside with a spoon. Be sure to keep the guts and juice in a clean container.
- Before hand choose a cake batter that only requires adding water and/or oil. We prefer using a white or yellow cake batter, but you can also use chocolate.
- Add your cake mix and water as well as using the fresh orange juice.
- Pour the cake batter into the orange shells. Keep in mind the cake will rise so don’t over fill. Place the top of the orange (the cap) back on the orange.
- Wrap the orange completely in foil.
- Place foil wrapped oranges on the fire clear of direct flame.
- Check the orange in 10 to 15 minutes to be sure it’s not over baking.
- Once baked, sit back, enjoy the view and warm tasty orange cake.